Sunday, January 17, 2010

The Red Shoes (1948) - FILM


I caught a newly remastered print. The colors popped as if they wanted to rip out my eyes. Wow.

I had never seen the film before, but had heard raves about it after it had played at BUTT NUMB A THON this year in Austin. It's a beautiful film that suffers from a slow start (I say that a lot don't I?) and a the slightly off-putting theatrical performances from its cast (As was the rage back then). Michael Powell pulls off out all the stops for an epic ballet performance in the middle that drops any realistic pretense and goes into completely fantasy land: Tons of mad matte shots, apocalyptic backdrops and reverse motion magic. Things really start to gel after that performance as the plot threads connect together for its tragically romantic conclusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment