Monday, January 18, 2010

44 Inch Chest, Cashe, Armor of God - FILM

As the cold takes hold of my old withered bones my writing output slows to a crawl.

Yea. That's right. I'm lazy.

I just haven't found anything interesting to say about the films that I've been watching. When coupled with the fact that I've been listening to a lot of commentary tracks lately (Mostly by HK cinemaphile BEY LOGAN) it results in me having zilch to say.

44 INCH CHEST - Quirky little dramady that doesn't succeed at resonating emotionally (It's much too obtuse for that) but does feature a great bunch of old British actors churning up a storm of charisma. I'd love to see more films featuring this gang of characters. You can tell there's hundreds of stories brimming under the surface.

CACHE - Good film, but I can't help but feel the slavish amount of praise its' received has sullied it for me. It's emotionally vacant and sterile (Like most Hanake) and it's WAY too long. Then again, I'm speaking from the position of a film-goer and not that of a suave intellectual that wants to discuss the intricacies of a 10 minute static shot. It's a good thriller marred by preposterous artistic expression.

ARMOR OF GOD - Jackie Chan tries push away from his kung-fu image so hard the result is a hodge-podge action film that has a lot of scenes I like, but feels more like a collection of unused ideas than a proper classic. There's stuff to love here, like Jackie fighting the four amazons, but it's not enough to make it a favorite. The problem is a lack of narrative inertia: there's simply too much dead space where things slow to a painful crawl. Do we really need more Jackie bedroom shenanigans? In the end, I will always prefer the young fresh faced Jackie to his glossy post 90's counterpart.

No comments:

Post a Comment