Thursday, January 14, 2010

Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs - FILM

"That looks like the dumbest thing I've ever seen.", I said to the poster of CLOUDY.

No one questioned me. I'm always right. That's why I'm the king.

Umm...Well...

I was wrong.

CLOUDY is filled with a great voice cast makes good use of a fresh visual style. It is a charming comedy that isn't peppered with past due date pop culture references. It's a genuinely fun movie that doesn't require you to burn braincells as you watch it. It's not weighty like a PIXAR classic (1) but it does have a surprising undercurrent of emotion thanks to a father/son subplot anchored by the a performance by the great James Caan.

The story of a scientist (Bill Hader) inventing a machine that makes food out of moisture isn't pressing stuff, but it does translate to tons of hilarious visuals. Thank the writing/directing duo of of the two fellows that wrote/directed every episode of the much loved CLONE HIGH. They bring a cinematic panache that you wouldn't expect in a project like this. It does a better job at being a disaster film than 2012.

Also, when's the last time you saw Mr.T, Bruce Cambell, and Neil Patrick Harris (as a monkey) in the same cast?

* Then again, what is? I start to tear up just listening to the score of UP

No comments:

Post a Comment