Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Straw Dogs (USA. 1971)

One poster artist took the tittle a wee bit to literally.

Okay.

What the hell took me so long to see this?

I'd say it's because STRAW DOGS is so famous that I felt it had already dug itself straight into my pop culture subconscious. Yea, it's about a man's breaking point after his wife gets raped (and seemingly enjoys it) and the fact that he snaps when the hooligans attack his home. I got it. Moving on. I had piles of Z-Movies starring Marc Dacascos to watch!

Once again, I was wrong, wrong, wrong.

Morally complex, savagely dirty, and edge of your seat all in the same breath, there's no doubt in my mind that Straw Dogs is Sam Peckinpah's masterpiece. Dust Hoffman as the meek protagonist brings so much to the role, as do every single character actor that rolls along the screen until the film reaches it's extremely tense final minutes. It's the kind of film I really feel no need in critiquing because it's universally known as a classic. Just watch it.

No comments:

Post a Comment