Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Me Write Normal Talk: Why do I capitalize/use little dots?


I'm not a Nazi garbed whip wielding grammarian. I don't care if your writing is dictionary perfect, grammatically sound or perfectly conjugated. I don't eat babies in a rage because you used “Your” in the wrong context...*wink wink* After all, I can barely type a coherent sentences!

Yet, I still use Capitals Letters and Punctuation.

“why”

It makes things sound...It makes things....sound better.

“im confoosed what r u talking but”

if type like this all the time it reminds me of someone speaking in emotionless monotone no expression no pauses in speech just one long run on sentence that trails off into oblivion

Dialogue is not only about what you say, but about meaning through inflection and pattern.

I'M SCREAMING. I. Could. Be. Pissed. Orimtalkingreallyfastbecau
sethatsthegag.

It's gimmicks to be sure – but the basic idea remains:

If I type stuff out normally, with a vague use of commas, capitals and periods, the flow of dialogue feels more natural, more human. I can see the intentions behind the words instead of just seeing them hang there lifeless. Is it really that hard to reach over and hit the SHIFT key to make something bigger or strike the little key on the bottom right of your keyboard to allow me to know you ended a thought?

'that is so stupid use your imagination why are you so stuck up?'

Am I missing something completely here? Is the lack of structure a rebellion against preconceived notions of world order? Big brother tells you your entire life that you NEED to write THIS WAY and the internet allows the opportunity to drop all those stodgy rules and stick to the most basic forms of communication. The rule less individual as the rebellious anarchist.

“stop being a big baby lol'

Yea.

Maybe you're right.

Maybe I'm just stuck up.

GODDAMIT! I JUST WANT TO TALK TO A REAL PERSON! NOT SOME EMOTIONLESS FUCKING ROBOT THAT WONT TAKE HALF A SECOND TO SOUND HUMAN!

You may now torture me at your leisure.

'lol lol lol fuk yu'

No comments:

Post a Comment